Blended Burger Project™ Resources
- Complete the participant form at jamesbeard.org/blendedburgerproject
- Create your "Blended Burger" by making a blend that contains at least 25 percent fresh, cultivated finely chopped mushrooms (white button, maitake, oyster, crimini, shiitake, beech, portabella, enoki, trumpet, or any mushroom medley) into your burger patty
- Send a delicious-looking high-res photo of your Blended Burger dish to Michelle Santoro (firstname.lastname@example.org) for use in the online voting gallery.
- Menu the dish throughout the promotion, from Memorial Day through July 31, 2016 (and beyond if you choose!)
- Train your staff on the dish and the Blended Burger Project™
- Use the Blended Burger Project™ print collateral to promote the program in your restaurant (print collateral will be mailed to your restaurant)
- Encourage diners to vote for your Blended Burger in the online gallery at jamesbeard.org/blendedburgerproject
- Consider guest incentives to drive consumer sharing on social media with the hashtag #BlendedBurgerProject
- Use the official Blended Burger Project™ media assets provided by JBF to promote the burger on your menu, website, through social media (@beardfoundation, #BlendedBurgerProject), and throughout your local market and metropolitan-wide publications or broadcast outlets
Marketing and Publicity:
All participating restaurants/chefs will be listed on the official Blended Burger Project™ site: jamesbeard.org/blendedburgerproject
- JBF will promote the Blended Burger Project™ through its various media channels
- A media alert template will be shared with all participants for use with local media outlets
- National media opportunities are available for participating chefs and restaurants
- #BlendedBurgerProject will be used for all social media posts surrounding the promotion
- For additional media promotion, share your recipe and professional headshot with us. We will use these assets when pitching the campaign to local and national media outlets.
JBF is supplying the following for use at participating properties:
- Branded easel-back signs for use at the bar or host stand in restaurant
- An info sheet for staff-training purposes
- A branded window sticker indicating that your restaurant is a participant
- A certificate of participation
- Digital file of the Blended Burger Project™ logo for use on your menus, inserts, or additional materials
Why do mushrooms work so well in a blend with meat?
No other food matches the versatility, flavor, and nutritional value of mushrooms. Blending plays on mushrooms’ compatibility with meat in terms of taste, texture, and aesthetic. Due to their umami-rich flavor compounds, mushrooms deliver savory, earthy flavors. They’re naturally low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, and provide important nutrients like vitamin D, B vitamins, antioxidants, and potassium. A Blended Burger also brings more sustainable, plant-based items to menus, while providing customers with a familiar dish that they love.
What kind of mushrooms should I use?
Any cultivated mushroom variety will bring flavor, moisture, and nutrients to your dishes. Popular varieties include white button, maitake, oyster, crimini, shiitake, beech, portabella, and enoki. Choose the one that’s best for your dish! Check out more mushroom varieties and flavor profiles.
Is there a preferred cooking technique for blending mushrooms?
You can control moisture content by cooking your mushrooms before adding them to meat. Roasting imparts a rich, meaty flavor. We also encourage you to add Asian, Mediterranean, Southwestern, or other types of seasonings to your blend. Ultimately, the recipe for your "Blended Burger" is completely up to you! Find our Culinary Institute “Basic Blend” recipe here.
What ratio should I use?
The beauty of the blend is that it’s completely customizable—let your creativity take over! For the Blended Burger Project™ contest, we’re calling for a blend of at least 25 percent mushrooms, but you can easily include more and achieve a 50:50 ratio.
Where can I find inspiration?
Several hundred restaurants participated in last year’s contest. Check out some of the recipes that were entered here.
Who can enter?
This promotion is open to any chef and any restaurant, whether or not you are a James Beard member. From steakhouses to food trucks, fine dining to chef casual, burger bars or diners, business dining or colleges, we invite you to participate.
For more information:
Michelle Santoro, Manager of Strategic Partnerships
email@example.com or 212.627.1111 ext. 552
Are you a foodservice professional? Learn more here.
Do you work with schools? Learn more here.
Are you a retailer? Learn more here.