The James Beard Foundation is proud to announce the launch of the JBF Impact Programs, a commitment to establish a more sustainable food system through education, advocacy, and thought leadership.
The JBF Impact Programs represent the evolution and solidification of food-systems advocacy work that JBF has undertaken in recent years. Starting in 2010, the annual JBF Food Conference has brought together a diverse group of food-system thought leaders to explore complex issues. In an effort to recognize visionaries helping to create a more healthful, sustainable, and safe food world, the Foundation launched the annual JBF Leadership Awards in 2011. Recognizing the growing voice of the culinary community in conversations around improving our food system, in summer of 2012 JBF piloted the Chefs Boot Camp for Policy and Change, which educates established chefs about the effective advocacy skills that can be leveraged to create food-system change at the local, regional, and federal levels. These major programs and other initiatives have culminated in the Foundation’s broader commitment to becoming a leading voice in creating a more sustainable food world.
The JBF Impact Programs bring together chefs, farmers, food companies, and others in the culinary community to dissect issues and facilitate participation around the biggest challenges facing our society, including food waste, sustainable agriculture, labor equity, and more.
In an effort to engage the culinary community in the ongoing process of promoting a sustainable food system that provides nutritious and delicious food for all, the JBF Impact Programs:
- Engage key stakeholders across the culinary community in the conversation about what constitutes a good food system
- Build a constituency of advocates to influence food policy at the local, state, and federal levels
- Provide clear and effective ways for the culinary community and consumers to take action
JBF Impact Programs Include:
- The JBF Food Conference
- The JBF Leadership Awards
- Chefs Boot Camp for Policy and Change
- Local and regional advocacy trainings for chefs – coming soon!
- Issue Summits – coming soon!
- Culinary Labs – coming soon!
- Enlightened Eaters
- The James Beard Foundation’s Chef Action Network
- Issue-specific advocacy campaigns
- Customized issue and advocacy support for the culinary community
Upcoming Impact Programs:
- September 11-13: Chefs Boot Camp for Policy and Change, Shelburne, Farms, Burlington, VT
- October 16-18: The JBF Food Conference, “Now Trending: The Making of a Food Movement”, NYC
- October 17: The JBF Leadership Awards, NYC
If you are interested in participating in one of our Impact Programs, please take the time to complete this quick survey. You'll be expressing your interest in these programs, as well as providing us with crucial guidance.
For more information on the JBF Impact Programs, partnership, and funding opportunities, please email email@example.com.