Legacy Network FAQs
FAQs for Legacy Network
The program is predominately virtual; however, parts of the program may include travel within the United States. Legacy applicants must have a valid mailing address for the United States and territories to be eligible for the program.
4. What’s the time commitment for the program?
The Legacy Network begins mid-September 2023 and runs until March 2024. Legacy Network participants are required to attend all scheduled virtual meetings on Sunday, Mondays, and Tuesdays averaging 3 hours per month over the course of seven months. Advisees also commit to serve as a Legacy Network advisor five years after completing their Legacy program.
5. When will applications be open?
Applications open on Thursday, June 29, 2023, at 1:00 P.M. ET.
6. When will applicants be notified?
Applicant notifications vary based upon your application type. All applicants will be notified of their application status no later than September 1.
7. Is there a deadline to apply?
The deadline to apply for Advisor and Advisee opportunities is Sunday, August 6, 2023, by 11:59 P.M. ET. Please note, there are two different applications, so be sure to select and submit the application that is applicable to you!
8. What will the application process entail?
The online application requires a resume, two headshot photos, two letters of recommendation (Advisees only), and one video submission.
9. Who is eligible to apply?
The Legacy Network is open to all BIPOC; Black/African American and Indigenous heritage candidates will be prioritized.
• Advisee applicants must be at least 18 years old and Advisors at least 21 years old.
• All applicants must have a valid mailing address in the United States and territories.
10. I’m not eligible for the Legacy Program, but I’m interested in similar programs. What are my options?
Check out our James Beard Fellows Program, Chef’s Bootcamp, and Women’s Entrepreneurship Leadership (WEL) on our Programs page. Be sure to also explore JBF’s scholarship opportunities.
11. How can I secure recommendations for the application?
Recommendations are best secured by individuals you have worked with in a professional capacity, such as a former/current instructor, educator, or mentor. The people you’ve identified as your reference should be able to confidently formalize your professional relationship and experience in the culinary industry. All recommendations should be placed on a letterhead and include the reference(s)' contact information. Please note, the Legacy team may contact your references for verification.
For questions or concerns with the online application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.