Legacy Network FAQs
FAQs for Legacy Network
The program is predominately virtual, however parts of the program may include travel within the United States. Legacy applicants must have a valid mailing address for the United States, commonwealths and territories to be eligible for the program.
4. What’s the program length time commitment?
The Legacy Network begins July 2022 until February 2023. Legacy members are required to particpiate in virtual meetings on Sunday, Mondays, and Tuesdays from one to three hours periodically over the course of eight months. An experiential trip will take place in Spring 2023 hosted by Woodford Reserve. Advisees also commit to serve as an Legacy Network advisor in five years.
5. When will applications be open?
Applications open on Wednesday, June 1 at 1 P.M. ET.
6. When will applicants be notified?
Applicants’ notifications vary based upon your application type. All applicants will be notified no later than the end of June 2022.
7. Is there a deadline to apply?
The deadline to apply for Advisors is June 17, 2022, 11:59 P.M. ET and June 24, 2022, 11:59 P.M. ET for Advisees. Please note, there are two different applications this year!
8. What will the application process entail?
The online application requires a resume, two headshot photos, two letters of recommendation, and one video submission.
9. Who is eligible to apply?
• The Legacy Network is open to all BIPOC, though Black/African-American and Indigenous heritage candidates will be prioritized.
• Advisee applicants must be at least 18 years old and advisors 21 years and older.
• All applicants must have a valid mailing address in the United States commonwealths and territories.
10. I’m not eligible for the Legacy Program, but I’m interested in similar programs. What are my options?
Check our James Beard Fellows Program, Chef’s Bootcamp, and Women’s Entrepreneurship Leadership (WEL) on our programs page. Be sure to also explore JBF’s scholarship opportunities.
11. How can I secure recommendations for the application?
Recommendations are best secured by individuals you’ve worked with in a professional capacity, such as a former/current instructor, educator, or mentor. The person you’ve identified as your reference should be able to confidently formalize your professional relationship and experience in the culinary industry. All recommendations should be placed on a letterhead and include the reference(s)' contact information. Please note, the Legacy team may contact your references for verification.
For questions or concerns with the online application, please reach out to email@example.com for assistance.