Belly Bacon Fat Potatoes
Corner House - Denver
Matt Selby throws together potatoes, bacon, and fresh herbs for a simple and delicious side.
4 to 6 servings
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until they can be pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Strain and let cool to room temperature.
In a large sauté pan over medium-low heat, sauté the bacon until the fat has started to melt and the meat begins to crisp, about 6 to 10 minutes. Add the cooked potatoes to the bacon and increase the heat to medium. Cook until the edges of the potatoes just begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the onions and garlic. Cook until they are translucent and soft, about 3 minutes.
Add the rosemary and thyme. Stir to combine and remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.