Spring Pea Bissara
Oleana and Sofra Bakery and Café - Cambridge, MA
Ana Sortun’s version of this North African dip is made with peas and a variety of fresh herbs.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onions or shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups shelled peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons of walnut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- Salt to taste
- Crushed toasted walnuts for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the contents of the pan to a food processor. Add the peas, dill, cilantro, mint, parsley, walnut oil, and Aleppo pepper. Pulse until the mixture is chunky. Season to taste with salt.
Transfer the dip to a serving dish. Garnish with crushed walnuts and extra dill. Serve with pita or crackers.
6 to 8 servings an as appetizer