Canton Ginger Kick
Border Grill Restaurants and Truck, Los Angeles and Las Vegas; and Mud Hen Tavern, Los Angeles
This cocktail from Susan Feniger’s Street in Los Angeles combines ginger vodka, ginger syrup, and fresh ginger for a strong, spicy kick.
- 1 750-milliliter bottle good-quality vodka
- 1 6-inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup peeled and thinly sliced ginger
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
Canton Ginger Kick:
- 1/2 lemon, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons Hennessy, or other Cognac
- 1 tablespoon Triple Sec, or other orange liqueur
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- A splash sparkling water or soda
To make the ginger-infused vodka, place ginger in an airtight glass jar. Top with vodka, covering ginger slices completely. Seal jar and store in a cool, dry place for 2 to 3 days. Strain infused vodka and pour back into original vodka bottle. Store in refrigerator.
To make the ginger syrup, combine the ginger, sugar, and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until ginger is soft and syrup is very fragrant and flavorful, about 25 minutes. Cool, remove ginger pieces, and reserve in refrigerator until ready to use.
To serve, place lemon wedges in a cocktail shaker and mash to release the juices using a muddler. Fill shaker with ice and add 2 tablespoons ginger-infused vodka, 1/2 tablespoon syrup, Cognac, orange liqueur, and grated ginger. Shake thoroughly and pour into a highball glass filled with ice. Top with sparkling water or soda and serve immediately.