Cream of Green Pea Soup
This recipe comes from James Peterson, author of many cookbooks, including Splendid Soups.
- 3 medium leeks, cleaned and sliced thin
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1 10-ounce box frozen baby peas or 2 pounds fresh peas, in the husk, shelled
- 1 quart milk, water, or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
Put leeks and potatoes in a pot with the liquid and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer until the potatoes and leeks are completely soft, about 25 minutes. Add the peas and simmer for about 3 minutes.
Purée in a blender or with a hand-held immersion blender and strain into a clean pot. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.