Creamy Coconut, Pea, and Mint Soup
Candice Kumai swears that this protein- and antioxidant-packed vibrant soup is the perfect definition of clean and green. It’s best served chilled or at room temperature, making it a refreshing, light meal for the warmer months. A dollop of Greek yogurt on top adds an indulgent, creamy texture and the added benefits of probiotics.
4 servings (about 5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- One 16-ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves, plus more for optional garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup canned light coconut milk, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons for finishing
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Greek yogurt (omit for dairy-free or vegan)
Sauté the onions: in a small sauté pan, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until fragrant, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
Make the soup: add the cooled onion mixture to a blender or food processor, followed by the peas, mint leaves, and salt. Blend to combine. Stream in the coconut milk and vegetable broth until the mixture has a velvety, soup consistency.
Serve the soup at room temperature or chilled with the extra coconut milk and mint to finish. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, if desired, for an extra boost of protein!