Green Garbanzo Bean Hummus
Cress Restaurant, DeLand, FL
6 to 8 servings
- 2 cups fresh chickpeas (garbanzo beans), or canned if unavailable
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
If using fresh chickpeas, cook them in a large pot of salted water until the outer skin comes off easily, about 8 minutes. Drain and remove the skins from the chickpeas. It’s a painstaking process, but well worth the effort!
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, steep the minced garlic in the lemon juice for 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and add the cooked and peeled chickpeas (or canned chickpeas). Blend to a smooth mixture. Add some salt and pepper and, with the motor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture is smooth. Test the seasoning and mix in the parsley. Sprinkle with some smoked paprika, if using.