James Beard's Fresh Apple Cookies
Author and Educator
4 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 cup apple juice (pineapple juice, orange juice, or milk can be substituted)
- 1 cup chopped, unpeeled raw apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, hazelnuts, or pecans
- 1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, then cream in the sugar. Beat in the egg.
In a separate mixing bowl, sift the dry ingredients together, then add to the creamed mixture, then add the juice and mix. Stir in the apple, nuts, and raisins.
Using two spoons (rather than your hands), scoop up a small amount of dough with one spoon and push it onto a buttered cookie sheet with the other spoon, leaving about one and a half inches between each cookie.
Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until light brown. Transfer to a rack and let cool. Store in airtight containers.