Leek and Royal Trumpet Fondue
The Homestead - Hot Springs, VA
At their Beard House dinner, the team from the Homestead served this dish with truffled beef rib cap and caramelized scallops, but it works just as well as a classic bread fondue. We recommend a good sourdough or dark rye bread.
4 to 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup diced leeks (white part only)
- 1 cup diced trumpet mushrooms
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon mascarpone cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the leeks until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining olive oil and mushrooms. Cook for another 3 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft.
Add the white wine, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook the mixture until the liquid has reduced and there is just enough to cover the bottom of the pan, about 5 minutes.
Add the cream and mascarpone. Stir until smooth. Add the butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest and stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.