Radish and Fava Bean Tea Sandwiches
The Artist Baker, Morristown, NJ
Andrea Lekberg made these sandwiches for her spring tea at the Beard House.
- 2 pounds fresh fava beans, shucked, blanched and peeled (about 1 cup of beans)
- 1/2 small shallot, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices white Pullman loaf bread
- 1 small bunch radishes, thinly sliced
In a food processor, combine the fava beans and shallots. Pulse until the beans are broken up. Add the lemon juice and pulse a few more times. With the processor running, add 1/4 cup olive oil until spreading consistency is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Drizzle a slice of bread with a little olive oil. Spread a layer of fava bean spread on a second piece of bread, then top with a layer of sliced radishes. Season the radishes with salt and pepper. Top with the first slice of bread. Repeat with the rest of the bread slices. Wrap the sandwiches in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.
To serve, unwrap the sandwiches and cut off the crusts. Cut into triangles or rectangles.