Sanil's Home-Cooked Chicken
4 to 6 servings
- One 4-pound chicken
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper or curry powder, to taste
- 1 quart chicken broth or water
The day before you make the dish, season the chicken with salt and garlic powder and cover it with lemon slices. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut into 8 pieces. Make a marinade by combining 1/4 cup of the olive oil, half of the garlic, and the scallions and oregano in a blender. Coat the chicken with the marinade and, if there is time, allow to sit for an hour or so.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the remaining garlic, the tomato paste, onions, green peppers, and red peppers. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper or curry powder. Cover and allow to cook until vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken and the broth, cover, and cook for one hour. Serve the chicken with rice.