Baja Ceviche Tostada
Border Grill Restaurants and Truck, Los Angeles; and Las Vegas
- 1 pound skinless, boneless Pacific halibut*, finely diced
- 1 pound domestic, wild-caught jumbo shrimp*, cleaned and finely diced
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeño, stem and seeds removed, finely diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- Salt, to taste
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- Four 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Sliced California avocado, for garnish
Make the ceviche: in a large bowl, combine the diced halibut and shrimp and enough lime juice to cover and marinate for 20 minutes. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of lime juice.
Combine the drained seafood with the onions, jalapeños, cilantro, tomatoes, and carrots. Add the reserved lime juice and salt, both to taste, and stir gently to combine. Chill thoroughly.
Fry the tortillas: meanwhile, pour a 1/2 inch of oil in a small pan. Fry the tortillas on both sides until crisp and drain on paper towels.
Make the cilantro mayonnaise: in a food processor, add the cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Pulse until the cilantro is very finely chopped and a paste begins to form. Add the mayonnaise and combine thoroughly.
Plate the tostadas: spread a thin layer of the cilantro mayonnaise on each crispy corn tortilla. Top with the seafood ceviche mixture and garnish with avocado.
Copyright © 2015, Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, www.bordergrill.com.