Barbecue Cabrito Spice
Tim Byres makes this spice rub to go with pit-roasted barbecue goat. He recommends using it for grilled lamb at home. Toasting the spices in a dry pan releases their essential oils.
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
Toast the cumin, coriander, mustard, peppercorns, and caraway in a pan over medium heat until they begin to smell, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once cool, grind to a coarse powder in a spice grinder or small food processor.
Blend the brown sugar, salt, and granulated sugar in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the toasted spices, garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder, sage, thyme, and cayenne. Pulse to combine evenly.
To use, rub on meat and cook to your liking.
1 1/2 cups spice rub