Beet and Pomegranate Salad
Lehem Erez - Israel
Komarovski made this salad with raw beets, but you could easily use roasted beets, which will have a more intense flavor, if less of a crunch. Toss just before serving. Date honey, called silan, can be found in Middle Eastern stores. It is a syrup made from dates, not honey. Look for a top-quality silan, dark in color without sugar.
- 1 1/4 pounds raw beets, peeled, and finely diced
- 2 pomegranates, seeds only
- 1 small green chile, seeded and minced
- Juice of 4 limes, about 1/3 cup
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons silan
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed, toasted and ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
6 to 8 servings