Blackened Shrimp with Corn Grits
Gov't Taco, Baton Rouge, LA
Easy-to-make creamy grits were the base for Jay Ducote's spicy shrimp recipe served at his JBF Taste America cooking demo in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups stone-ground yellow grits
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 3 pounds (approximately 21 to 25 count per pound) peeled and deveined gulf shrimp
- 6 tablespoons Jay D’s Spicy and Sweet Rub
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
In a large Dutch oven, bring the chicken stock, milk, and a pinch of salt up to a boil. Whisk in the grits and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally for approximately 30 minutes. Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Season the shrimp with Jay D’s Spicy and Sweet Rub. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the canola oil to medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the shrimp for about 2 minutes per side, or until they’re opaque in the center. Serve the shrimp over the grits and garnish with the chopped scallions.