Butter-Poached Shrimp with Smoky Oatmeal
Alden & Harlow, The Longfellow Bar at Alden & Harlow, and Waypoint Cambridge, MA
- 1 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons Espelette pepper
- 16 to 20 shrimp (approximately 1 pound), shells on
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small fennel bulb, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 quart whole milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups Quaker® Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 apples, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
In a saucepan, combine the honey and Espelette pepper. Simmer on low heat for 30 mins.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter. Toss the shrimp in a medium mixing bowl with the melted butter, Aleppo pepper, and salt and black pepper to taste. Arrange the shrimp in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until just cooked through.
In a 2-qt saucepan, sweat the fennel, onion, and garlic in the butter until translucent. Pour in the milk and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the oatmeal and simmer until the oats are tender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, dress the apples with olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
To serve, spoon the oatmeal in a shallow bowl. Top with a few slices of the dressed apples, then the shrimp, and drizzle with honey.