Buttermilk Fried Chicken Fingers
Blue Inc - Boston
Soaking the chicken pieces in a mixture of buttermilk and hot sauce infuses the meat with a tangy and spicy flavor that’s totally addictive.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut intro 1-inch wide strips
- 1 cup corn flour or masa harina
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Combine the buttermilk and hot sauce in a large bowl. Add the chicken and let soak in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Mix together the corn flour, all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, powdered garlic, lemon pepper, Old Bay seasoning, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot to 350ºF. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Mix the remaining salt with the black pepper and cayenne. Use the resulting mixture to season the chicken before serving.