Butternut Squash Salad
Henrietta Red, Nashville
This recipe is featured in the Nashville Food Waste Initiative and James Beard Foundation Waste Not Cooking Demo, in partnership with Mayor Cooper’s Food Saver Challenge, with the Roasted Cauliflower with Butternut Squash and Pepita Macha and Tennessee Whiskey Sour.
- 1/2 lb. Butternut Squash, peeled and shaved with a vegetable peeler, seeds reserved for garnish
- 1 Navel Orange, zested then supremed
- 1 cup Radicchio, thinly sliced
- 1 Garlic clove, grated or finely chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped, reserve skins for cocktail
- 1 tsp Sriracha, or similar
- 4 tbsp toasted pistachios, roughly chopped and divided in half
- 1 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lime, zested and juiced then divided in half
- 1 Basil sprig, leaves torn or sliced, divided in half
- 1 Mint sprig, leaves torn or sliced, divided in half, reserve stems for cocktail
- Salt, to taste
Combine butternut squash ribbons, orange, orange zest, radicchio, ginger, garlic, sriracha, 1/2 of pistachios, olive oil, 1/2 of the lime juice, lime zest, and ½ of the herbs. Toss gently, taste, and adjust seasoning with salt as necessary.
Plate and garnish with the remaining nuts, lime juice and herbs.