Cappelletti con Prosciutto e Radicchio
Touché Rooftop Restaurant and Lounge - Miami
Carla Pellegrino of the famed Rao's restaurant served this delicious pasta dish at the 2009 James Beard Awards reception.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces Parma prosciutto, fat trimmed and finely diced
- 1 head radicchio, cored and julienned
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream, reduced by half
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 pound cheese-filled cappelletti pasta or store bought tortellini (see note)
Heat the olive oil, shallots, and half of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the prosciutto and sauté until crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir in the radicchio.
Add the white wine and cook until the alcohol evaporates, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook for another 3 minutes before adding the reduced cream and the nutmeg. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Add the remaining butter and swirl to combine.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until cooked through, usually about 6 minutes for freshly made pasta, or follow the package instructions for store bought pasta. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Cook for another minute, stirring to coat the pasta with the sauce. Serve immediately.