Always use firm-fleshed white fish, without skin and bones, to prepare cebiche. Avoid oily or fatty varieties of fish.
- Four 6-ounces white fish filets (such as sole, croaker, or grouper)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped aji limo chile (or substitute habanero)
- 20 small limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 or 3 ice cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced into half-moon crescents
- 1 ear of corn, cooked and kernels sliced off
- 1/2 sweet potato, boiled and sliced
Cut the fish into 3/4-inch cubes, place in a bowl, and season with salt and pepper. After 1 minute, add the garlic and chile. Mix together well.
Add the lime juice, chopped cilantro leaves, and ice cubes. Stir and let stand for a few seconds. Add the red onions and remove the ice cubes. Mix together and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Serve in a large, shallow bowl with the cooked corn kernels and sweet potato slices placed around the fish. Eat with a spoon.