Celery Root–Apple Salad
La Petite Grocery and Balise - New Orleans
This recipe, provided by New Orleans Tourism, pairs crisp apples and celery root with creamy blue cheese, toasted nuts, and fresh herbs.
White Wine Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 gala apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 celery root, peeled and julienned
- 2 teaspoons parsley, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped tarragon
- 1 teaspoon snipped chives
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 ounces crumbled Asher blue cheese (or any high-quality Danish blue cheese)
Make the vinaigrette: in a bowl, combine the white wine vinegar with the Dijon. Slowly whisk in the vegetable oil and mix until the vinaigrette has emulsified. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
For the salad, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss gently and taste, adjusting the salt and pepper if needed. Plate and serve right away.
Note: the vinaigrette will last for up to a week in the fridge.