Chevy's Coconut Shrimp Stew
(Adapted from Fine Cooking)
JBF reservations coordinator Chevy Mondesir scours magazines and the internet for new recipes, like this one she adapted from Fine Cooking, to try out on her family. She serves this savory stew on a bed of white rice.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the red peppers and sauté for about 4 minutes. Add the cilantro, garlic, red pepper flakes, and scallions and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add the tomatoes and coconut milk, cover, and simmer on low for about 8 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
Add the shrimp and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until it’s just opaque. Season to taste with salt.
Serve over white rice.