Chilled Zucchini Soup
JBF Staff, Director of House Programming
A light, refreshing summer soup.
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk, plain yogurt, or sour cream (or a mixture of milk and yogurt, or milk and sour cream)
Trim the ends of the zucchini. Split in half lengthwise and cut into half-inch slices.
Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onion, marjoram, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, lower the heat, and cook until the zucchini is cooked through, another 5 to 7 minutes. As the zucchini is cooking and starts to need liquid, add the stock to the pan. Cook until the zucchini is soft and the stock is boiling. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove from heat. Purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Add milk, yogurt, or sour cream. Adjust seasoning to taste. Chill and serve.