Chipotle Salmon Burgers
According to Candice Kumai, “This delicious omega-3, brain-boosting salmon burger is the tastiest way to have it all. Made from simple canned salmon, this is a budget-friendly way to enjoy all of the nutritional benefits salmon has to offer. The creamy chive sauce is like a more-delicious version of tartar sauce—and pairs perfectly with any type of fish.”
- Salmon Burgers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed, and finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (omit for kids)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Three 5- to 6-ounce cans high-quality boneless and skinless wild salmon, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Creamy Chive Sauce
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- For Serving
- 1 package regular or gluten-free miniature slider buns, toasted
- 12 small kale leaves, tough ribs or stems removed, torn
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Make the salmon burgers: in a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, and soy sauce. Add the bell peppers, onions, and chipotle peppers, and stir until well combined. Fold in the panko, flaxseed meal, and beaten egg. Gently fold in the salmon. Divide the mixture into six equal parts and, using clean hands, shape each portion into a ball. Pat each ball into 2 1/2-inch wide and 3/4-inch thick burger patties. Place the patties into an airtight container and cover.
Cook the burgers: heat a medium grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, reduce the heat to medium, and cook the patties, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Gently turn them over and brown the opposite sides for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the cooked patties to a paper towel–lined plate while you prepare the sauce.
Make the chive sauce: in a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, chives, and Worcestershire sauce.
To serve, place each burger on a toasted bun, smear on a dollop of the sauce, and layer on the kale and thinly sliced red onions.
Makes 12 miniature patties