Fig Montaditos with Cheese, Mint, and Orange Honey
Naples 45 - NYC
Spain’s answer to crostini, montaditos are an extremely versatile appetizer or snack. Here, chef Christopher Deluna, fashions montaditos out of fresh cheese, citrus-infused honey, and mint.
- 1/2 cup honey
- Zest of a quarter of an orange
- Dash orange blossom water
- 1 cup fresh sheep’s or goat’s milk cheese, such as Miticrema, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Brown Turkey or Black Mission figs, thinly sliced
- 6 thick slices crusty sourdough or peasant bread, toasted
- 12 mint leaves, thinly sliced
Combine the honey, orange zest, and orange blossom water in a small pot. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
Combine the goat cheese with the cream and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve, spread some goat cheese on each piece of toasted bread. Cover each piece with fig slices, covering the cheese. Drizzle with infused honey and garnish with mint.