French Toast Casserole
Adapted from Friday Night Dinners (Random House Canada, 2008)
This casserole version of French toast is irresistible. It is a delicious cross between French toast and bread pudding. You will love it.
- 7 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- 1 unsliced challah or egg bread (about 1 1/4 pounds), crusts removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Ice cream, mixed fresh berries or double-smoked bacon, for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the eggs with the milk and vanilla. Add the bread cubes and combine well. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Place the bread mixture in a buttered 9 x13-inch baking dish. Combine the melted butter with the brown sugar and maple syrup. Drizzle this mixture all over top of bread.
Bake in a preheated 350ºF oven (on a baking sheet to catch any spills) until puffed and browned, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.