Garam Masala–Dusted Shrimp
Chef MavroHonolulu - HI
These flavorful shrimp come from James Beard Award winner George Mavrothalassitis. Be sure to include the fried shrimp heads for a beautiful presentation.
- 1/4 cup diced pickled hearts of palm
- 1/4 cup diced Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons chopped chervil, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon chopped preserved lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon piment d’espelette
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 whole poached shrimp, heads removed and reserved
- 1/4 cup flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- White pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons rémoulade
Mix together the hearts of palm, apples, chervil, preserved lemon, and piment d’espelette in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Dry the shrimp heads with a paper towel and toss in the flour. Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a pot. Fry the shrimp heads until golden, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and lime zest.
Butterfly the poached shrimp. Season both sides of the shrimp with the garam masala, salt, and white pepper.
To serve, spoon some rémoulade onto each plate. Top with the hearts of palm mixture. Place a shrimp body and head on top. Garnish with chervil.