The Bistro at Topsail, Surf City, NC
Made with grass-fed Mills Family Farm beef and wild mushroom confit, this burger (one of our 2017 Blended Burger Project winners) is served with Havarti cheese, shiitake "bacon," and lemongrass aïoli. The shiitake "bacon" can be used anywhere you want a bacon-y flavor—the shiitakes take on a smoky, umami flavor when roasted down.
Wild Mushroom Confit:
- 2 pounds assorted wild mushrooms, sliced into 1/4 inch-thick strips (like portobello, shiitake, or oyster)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 shallots, cut into quarters
- 3 large sprigs rosemary
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound shiitake caps, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Beef–Wild Mushroom Patties:
- 1 1/2 pounds grass-fed ground beef (or any high quality 80/20 ground beef)
- 1/2 pound confit wild mushrooms, half finely chopped and half coarsely chopped
- 4 hamburger buns (brioche or other soft bun)
- 4 Goomba Patties
- 8 slices Havarti cheese
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 heirloom tomato, sliced
Make the confit mushrooms: place all ingredients except the olive oil into a baking dish and cover with the olive oil. Cover the pan tightly with foil. Place in a 350°F oven and cook for 2 hours until the mushrooms are soft. Let cool.
Make the shiitake “bacon”: in large mixing bowl, toss the sliced mushrooms with the olive oil to coat well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a baking sheet. Place in a 275°F oven and cook, stirring every 5 to 7 minutes, until the mushrooms are crispy and brown. (This should take about 1 hour total.)
Make the lemongrass aïoli: chop the lemongrass stalk into small pieces. Place the lemongrass and oil in small pot and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let the oil infuse with the lemongrass for about 20 minutes. Once the oil is infused, strain it using a fine-mesh sieve. Place the remaining ingredients, including the infused oil, into a blender. Blend until you have achieved a thick, velvety aïoli.
Make the patties: in large bowl mix the beef and mushrooms together. Form into four 8-ounce patties.
Cook the patties: season both sides of the patty liberally with salt and pepper. Place on very hot grill and grill until medium-rare, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Top with the Havarti cheese and make sure the cheese is melted before serving, about 1 additional minute.
Meanwhile, toast the buns and spread 1 to 2 tablespoons lemongrass aïoli onto the top and bottom of each bun. Top with the shiitake “bacon”, baby arugula, and sliced tomato and serve.