L’Etoile and Deja Food Group, Madison, WI
Courtesy of Every Day with Rachel Ray, this burger was a winning recipe in the magazine's Burger Battle Royale contest. It was also served at the 2013 James Beard Foundation Taste America® kickoff party!
- 1/4 cup clarified butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1⁄3 cup cabernet or other dry red wine
- 11⁄2 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds ground meat (ask your butcher to grind 1 pound sirloin, 1⁄2 pound rib-eye, 1⁄2 pound bacon)
- 4 brioche burger buns, split
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high. Add the butter or extra virgin olive oil and the onions, reduce to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and cook until onions are very tender, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat the broiler. Form the meat into 4 four-inch-diameter patties and season on both sides. Heat an outdoor grill or an indoor grill pan to medium-high, add the burgers and cook about 2 1/2 minutes on each side for medium-rare. While the burgers cook, arrange the rolls, cut sides up, on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the Parmesan; broil until toasted.
Transfer roll bottoms to plates. Place burger patties on top, smother with onions, sprinkle with the chives and add roll tops.