Green Lentil Tabbouleh
"The Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookbook"
In this recipe from her 2017 James Beard Award-winning book, The Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookbook, Salma Hage tosses together a versatile take on tabbouleh. It is delicious served on its own or combined with starches like quinoa or couscous for a substantial salad.
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 oz or 100 g) green lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup (8 fl oz or 250 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley, leaves finely chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Lebanese 7-Spice Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
Cook the lentils in the vegetable stock for 10 minutes, or as directed on the package. Add more broth if needed. Drain well. Transfer to a bowl and add all the remaining ingredients.
Mix together well, season with plenty of salt and pepper, and serve.
Green Lentil Tabbouleh is excerpted from The Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookbook by Salma Hage. Copyright ©2016 . Photographs by Liz and Max Haarala Hamilton. Reproduced by permission of Phaidon Press.