Grilled Boston Lettuce Salad with Warm Blue Cheese and Bacon Dressing
2900, Dallas, TX
A quick sear on the grill adds a whole new dimension of flavor and texture to humble salad greens. Mike Smith served this delicious, smoky salad as part of his Father's Day luncheon at the Beard House.
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 ounces cooked applewood-smoked bacon, crumbled, about 1/3 cup
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads Boston lettuce, cut in half with cores intact
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium-ripe tomatos, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat.
Bring the cream to a boil in a medium saucepan. Lower the heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the blue cheese and bacon. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Coat the lettuce halves with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 30 seconds per side. Remove the cores from lettuce and place each lettuce half on a plate. Pour the blue cheese dressing over the lettuce and garnish with tomato wedges and parsley.