Grilled Hanger Steak with Peperonata
BLT Prime - NYC
This flavorful recipe is ideal for a weeknight dinner or a spur-of-the-moment gathering: the hanger steak only needs a brief sear on the grill, while the peperonata comes together in about 20 minutes.
- Two 14-ounce prime hanger steaks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into half moons
- Salt to taste
- 6 bell peppers, seeded and sliced into 2 1/2 to 3-inch-long strips (you can use just one color of pepper or a combination of colors)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 to 5 Roma or other plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup roughly torn basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
Preheat the grill on high. Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add the onions. Sprinkle with a little salt and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onions just begin to color.
Add the peppers and stir well to combine. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, until the peppers are cooked through but still have a little crunch.
Add the garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add a little more salt, then add the sugar and dried oregano. Cook for 1 minute. Add the diced tomatoes, cook for one more minute, then remove from the heat. Mix in the torn basil and some freshly ground pepper. Set aside.
Grill the steak over high heat to desired doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium. Remove from the heat and let rest for about 10 minutes.
To serve, squeeze a little lemon juice over the peperonata. Slice the hanger steak and arrange the slices on top of the peperonata.