Insalata di Zucchine e Menta (Raw Summer Squash Salad)
James Beard House featured chef Tony Liu prepares this refreshing salad at Morandi in NYC’s West Village.
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup raw pine nuts
- 2 medium yellow squash, seeded and julienned
- 2 medium green zucchini, seeded and julienned
- 1 green Serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 bunch mint, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-cured black olives
- 1/4 cup sliced ricotta salata
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine the currants, cayenne and 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow to steep for 20 minutes. Drain currants.
Spread pine nuts in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake until lightly golden and fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes.
Combine the yellow squash, zucchini, and Serrano chile with the olive oil and lemon juice. Add the mint, olives, ricotta salata, pine nuts and currants. Gently toss together, season to taste with salt and pepper, and divide among serving plates.