Luca Mano Freddo
Fausto, Brooklyn, NY
"Katherine and Gabe Thompson have the most beautiful little boy, Luke. His name comes from both Katherine’s love for Paul Newman (Cool Hand Luke) and Gabe’s love of Star Wars (Luke Skywalker). We joked about how great 'Cool Hand Luke' sounds in Italian—'Luca Mano Freddo'—and decided a name like that needed its own cocktail. I wanted to use one of my favorite ingredients, Velvet Falernum; it’s derived from sugarcane, and I use it to sweeten cocktails and give them extra complexity and spice. I knew this drink had to be served in a julep cup—because, of course, your hand should get super cool."
- 6 small pieces of cucumber, plus 1 wedge of cucumber, for garnish
- 5 leaves fresh mint, plus 1 sprig of mint, for garnish
- 3/4 ounce Velvet Falernum
- 2 1/4 ounces dill-infused vodka
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
Muddle the cucumber pieces and mint leaves with the Velvet Falernum in a julep cup.
Add ice. Top with the vodka and lime juice; stir. Garnish with the sprig of mint and wedge of