Mango Fonio Salad
Senegal, Brooklyn, NY
"Bursting with fresh herbs, lemon, and mango, and super easy to throw together, this healthy grain salad would make a great addition to picnics or potlucks as a side for grilled fish or meat or as a vegetarian main. Think of this salad as a template to which you can add any number of your seasonal produce favorites." —Pierre Thiam
Reprinted from Senegal: Modern Senegalese Recipes from the Source to the Bowlby Pierre Thiam with Jennifer Sit.
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups cooked fonio or quinoa
- 1 bunch parsley, leaves finely chopped
- 1 bunch mint, leaves finely chopped
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup red and yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and diced
- ½ cup spiced cashews
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice with the salt and pepper. Slowly pour in the oil, whisking to emulsify.
Place the fonio in a large bowl and add the parsley, mint, mango, onion, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Toss well and generously fold in the vinaigrette to taste. (You may have some left over.) Top with the spiced cashews and serve immediately.