Marinated Fluke with Coconut and Caribbean Spices
Mike's Pasta & Sandwich Shoppe, Nutley, NJ and Pig & Prince Restaurant & Gastrolounge, Montclair, NJ
This simple fluke was served by Michael Carrino at his Beard House dinner. The hint of spice and cool coconut milk are well matched to give this hors d’oeuvre great complex layers.
- 8 ounces fresh fluke fillet, sliced thin and in long strips
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced jicama
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine ground sea salt
In a large, non‐metallic bowl, combine the fluke, coconut milk, jicama, red onion, lime juice, allspice, and salt and refrigerate the mixture for three hours. To serve, remove whole allspice. Serve in small spoons or on small plates.