Mildred's Marinated Anchovies
Director Emeritus of House Programming, James Beard Foundation; New York, NY
An avid entertainer who on a few occasions counted James Beard among her dinner guests, Mildred always opens her dinner parties with a selection of cocktails and hors d’oeuvre that often includes smoked salmon, caviar, or these delicious little marinated fish. Sometimes called “white anchovies” or “boquerones,” they can be found in Spanish or Italian specialty stores.
- 8 ounces white anchovies, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Arrange the drained fish on a serving platter. Sprinkle with the garlic, parsley, and lemon zest. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a few grinds of black pepper. Serve with slices of crusty French bread or baguette.
6 to 8 servings