The Franklin Bar - Philadelphia
"The cooling feeling of the menthol tincture mimics the rush of cool night air" in this herbaceous cocktail. —Sara Justice
- 1/2 ounce Rittenhouse Rye
- 1/2 ounce Ron Zacapa Rum
- 1/4 ounce Noilly Prat Ambre Vermouth
- 1/4 ounce Zirbenz Stone Pine Liqueur
- 30 drops menthol tincture
- 3 drops saline solution, or a very small pinch of salt
Make the menthol tincture: dissolve 2 ounces of menthol candies (Fisherman's Friend works really well) in 8 ounces of 100-proof vodka. (Note: blending the candies with a stick blender or food processor helps dissolve them more quickly.)
Make the saline solution: dissolve 3 parts filtered water to 1 part Kosher salt. A very, very small pinch of salt would suffice. It's just a very tiny amount!
Stir all the ingredients over ice and serve in a coupe or other stemmed glass.