Oysters with Champagne Mignonette and Ruby Red Grapefruit
Delmonico’s - NYC and Southampton, NY
Pink peppercorns add a fruity note to this zesty mignonette.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 ruby red grapefruit
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced mint
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Small pinch freshly ground white pepper
- Small pinch freshly ground pink peppercorns
- One dozen oysters on the half shell
Heat the canola oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook just until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool to room temperature.
Use a serrated knife to peel the grapefruit. Cut the grapefruit in half lengthwise. Juice one half of the grapefruit. Discard the spent fruit and reserve the juice. Using a small paring knife, carefully remove the pith from the other grapefruit half. Separate the segments and carefully remove the membranes. Cut the segments into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch pieces.
In a bowl, mix together the shallots, grapefruit juice, grapefruit segments, vinegar, jalapeño, mint, cilantro, olive oil, salt, black pepper, white pepper, and pink peppercorn. Whisk together and adjust the seasoning if desired.
Spoon a teaspoon of the mignonette over each oyster, making sure that each oyster is topped with some grapefruit pieces. Serve immediately.