Oysters with Crisp Shiitakes, Scallions, and Roasted Shiitake Mignonette
Bolete, Bethlehem, PA; and Mr. Lee's Noodles, Easton, PA
Adding roasted shiitakes to a simple mignonette transforms oysters on the half shell.
- 4 fresh shiitake mushroom caps, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 12 oysters on the half shell, preferably Island Creek
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 350°F. To make the mignonette, lightly coat 2 of the shiitake caps with oil. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes, until tender. Let the mushrooms cool; cut into a fine dice. Combine with the minced shallots, wine, vinegar, and pepper. Set mignonette aside.
Thinly slice the other 2 mushroom caps. Heat the remaining oil in a large sauté pan. Fry the mushroom slices until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the mushrooms on paper towels.
To serve, drizzle a teaspoon of mignonette over each oyster. Garnish each oyster with 2 slices of fried shiitakes and a few slices of scallion.