Author and Educator
This is a Basque version of scrambled eggs with sautéed vegetables.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 red or green bell peppers, roasted and cut into strips
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 medium-size tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Heat the oil in a skillet; add the peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes, Tabasco, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until lightly sautéed and soft, but not cooked down to a purée. Lightly beat the eggs. Heat the butter in a nonstick skillet, add the eggs, spoon in the vegetable mixture, and stir over medium heat, as for scrambled eggs, until soft curds form. Serve immediately, sprinkled with chopped parsley.