Roasted Beets with Blue Cheese and Champagne Vinaigrette
Vince Young Steakhouse - Austin, TX
This salad from chef Phillip Brown is a wonderful combination of bold and earthy flavors.
- 8 small beets (about 2 inches in diameter), red or gold
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1/4 shallot, diced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 heads frisée, root ends cut off
- 2 cups crumbled goats’ milk blue cheese
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place the beets in a roasting dish. Coat with 1/4 cup of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Add a quarter of an inch of water to the pan and cover with a lid or foil. Place the pan in the oven and cook for 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until the beets are tender all the way through. Remove the beets from the oven and let them cool completely. Peel the skin off the beets and cut them into quarters. In a medium bowl, combine the shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Champagne vinegar. Slowly whisk in the remaining olive oil to make a dressing. In a large mixing bowl, combine beets and blue cheese. Add the dressing to taste and toss. Divide the frisée among 4 plates and top with the beet and blue cheese mixture.