Sean Brock’s The Charleston Light Dragoon Punch 1792
Husk - Charleston, SC and Nashville
- 2 quarts water
- 7 bags black tea, preferably American Classic
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 1 ½ cups fresh lemon juice
- 12.7 ounces brandy (California is fine)
- 12.7 ounces rum, preferably Cockspur Barbados
- 6.4 ounces peach brandy
- 20 large ice cubes
- 2 ¾ cups soda water
- 20 thin slivers of lemon peel (from about 3 lemons)
Make the punch base: bring the water to a boil in a medium stainless-steel saucepan over high heat. Add the tea, remove the pan from the heat, and let the tea steep for 20 minutes.
Strain the tea through a tea strainer or a fine-mesh sieve into a 1-gallon container. Add the sugar and stir until it is completely dissolved. Let the mixture cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
Add the lemon juice, brandy, rum, and peach brandy to the tea mixture, cover, and refrigerate until cold.
Make the cocktail: ladle 3 ounces of the punch base into each punch cup. Add an ice cube, top off with 1 ½ ounces of soda water, and garnish with a sliver of lemon peel.