Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
Empire State South - Atlanta
“Look, Brussels sprouts get a bad name. Most of the bad rap comes from being forced to eat drastically overcooked, mushy, under seasoned versions when we were young. This will open your eyes to the wonderful side of a maligned vegetable. You won’t have to hide them in your napkin ever again.”
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 quart Brussels sprouts, shaved thinly by hand or on a mandolin
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 cup shaved Pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley
Put the mustard in a heavy bowl. Slowly add olive oil and walnut oil while whisking. Add the lemon juice and sherry vinegar. Finish with the chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.
To prepare the salad, toss Brussels sprouts, peanuts, cheese and parsley in a salad bowl with the vinaigrette to your taste.