Shelley’s Za’atar Potatoes
Manager of Special Programs and Student Programs Volunteer
Shelley has fond childhood memories of eating toasted za’atar bread with her grandmother for breakfast. After developing a gluten allergy 15 years ago, she created this recipe to satisfy her za’atar craving.
- 1 pound Bintje or Yukon Gold potatoes (small to medium sized), quartered
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons za’atar*
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the olive oil, scallions, za’atar, mustard, lemon juice, and lemon zest together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Drain the potatoes and gently toss into the bowl with the dressing. Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve.
4 to 6 servings