Shrimp and Oyster Shooters
This tray of invigorating seafood shooters is a great way to kick off a dinner party.
- 6 large shrimp, shells and heads on
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish (not creamed)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 ounces unflavored vodka
- 12 small oysters, whole or finely chopped, liquor reserved
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch salt if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
To make the shrimp, fill a 12-inch skillet or pan with high sides with water and bring to a boil. Add the shrimp. Remove from the heat and turn over the shrimp. After 3 to 5 minutes, remove the shrimp from the pan and let cool. Reserve the liquid in the pan. When the shrimp are cool enough to handle, peel off the shells and remove the heads. Discard the heads. Add the shells to the reserved liquid and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and purée for 2 minutes. Strain and discard the shells. Finely chop the shrimp bodies and add to liquid. Refrigerate. Two hours prior to serving, add the lemon zest, Tabasco, horseradish, and parsley. Cover and refrigerate until cold.