Stewed Octopus with Tomatoes
Restaurant Latour at Crystal Springs Resort, Hamburg, NJ
This simple, stewed octopus dish requires only one pot and can easily be made any night of the week.
- 2 pounds baby octopus, cleaned
- 4 cups chopped San Marzano tomatoes or other high-quality canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Ciabatta bread, sliced and grilled
Rinse the octopus and drain well. Be sure that the hard round beak located at the base of the tentacles of each octopus has been removed.
In a large heavy saucepan, combine the octopus, tomatoes, oil, 3 tablespoons parsley, garlic, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
Uncover the pan and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until the octopus is tender when pierced with a knife and the sauce is thick. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Add the remaining parsley and stir.
Divide the stew among 6 bowls and served with grilled bread.