Lacroix at the Rittenhouse, Philadelphia
- 2 red bell peppers (or store-bought roasted red peppers)
- 2 pints organic strawberries
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 20 leaves basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons diced tender celery and celery leaves (from the inner stalks of the celery heart)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup croutons (store-bought or homemade)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoonolive oil
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
Preheat your oven to broil. Halve the peppers and place them cut-side-down on a baking sheet. Place in a preheated oven and roast until the peppers are wrinkled and the skins are blistered and charred in spots, about 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool enough to handle. Peel the charred skin off and remove the stem and seeds.
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and marinate overnight. Transfer the ingredients to a blender and purée until smooth. Add a splash of water if it seems thick.
Combine all the garnish ingredients, except the balsamic vinegar, in a bowl and season with salt and olive oil. Pour the soup into chilled bowls and spoon 1 tablespoon of garnish on top. Finish with a few dots of aged balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.